JNTO Sydney welcomes new directors
SYDNEY October 8, 2012 – Japan National Tourism Organization - cash1970.info (JNTO) Sydney Office has welcomed a new Executive Director to its team, with Hiroshi Kuwamoto (Mr.) taking over from former Executive Director Yukio Yamashita in July.
Kuwamoto who hails from Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT), has moved from Tokyo to Australia to take up what is his first overseas posting.
Kuwamoto said he is delighted to be promoting his country to the Australian market: “The central part of my job here in Sydney is to convey to Australians what a fantastic destination Japan is”.
“Over the past years, JNTO Sydney office has received the cooperation and support of the travel industry and media in promoting Japan. This support was there too last year when we needed it the most. I would like to take this opportunity and thank the industry and the Australian people for their continuous support and encouragement. During my time in Australia, I intend to continue the various advertising and media projects, seminars and other marketing activities that JNTO has been focusing on.”
“For the first time following the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami, we are seeing an increase in Australian visitors to Japan. 130,400 Australians visited in the first 8 months between January ~ August, 25.4% increase on 2011. This is only 10.4% less than the same period in 2010, which saw 145,600 visitors, the best year so far. International visitor numbers have risen to pre-earthquake level with June reaching a total of 683,096, 57.8% increase on 2011 and 0.9 % increase on 2010. These are positive and encouraging results”, says JNTO Sydney Executive Director Hiroshi Kuwamoto. The numbers are based on statistics released by JNTO on September 21st.
JNTO Sydney also welcomed a new Director, Maiko Zenki (Ms.) in April. We see 2012 as the year for new beginnings and look forward to promoting more of destination Japan.