John Lennon Museum showcases legend’s world of love
The John Lennon Museum in Saitama City near Tokyo will be holding its 2009 special exhibition, The World of LOVE John and Yoko Created, from April 29 through December 28, 2009, coinciding with the 40th year since John and Yoko’s marriage and their famous “bed-in”.
Incorporating three themes – Love Songs, Love Arts, Love Family Art – the special exhibition will include original handwritten lyrics of several love songs penned by John Lennon (many of which will be on display for the first time in Japan), an interactive exhibit of John and Yoko’s “bed-in” which attracted worldwide attention, and pictures of places and things associated with John’s family.
Love was a very important keyword in John Lennon’s life, from his boyhood when he was starving for love, to the ardent love that came from meeting Yoko, and the peaceful love that was nurtured in the course of their family life. John’s world of love will be captured in the special exhibition.
During the period of the special exhibition, the museum is offering a special reduced admission to couples. Adult couples and high school and university student couples will be given a 200 yen ($2.80) discount, paying 1300 yen ($18.20) and 800 yen ($11.20) per person, respectively, for admission. Elementary and junior high school student couples will be given a 100 yen discount, paying 400 yen ($5.60) per person.
Additionally, during Japan’s upcoming Golden Week holiday period (April 29 – May 6), elementary and junior high school students will receive free admission to the museum.
About The World of LOVE John and Yoko Created
John rushed through his life craving affection and appealing for love. The various forms of love that he sang about will be exhibited and explained with his original handwritten lyrics.
- Original Handwritten lyrics to I’ll Be Back (first exhibition in Japan)
- Original Handwritten lyrics to Oh My Love (first exhibition in Japan)
- Original Handwritten lyrics to Instant Karma (first exhibition in Japan)
- LOVE SONGS Gold Disc, which carries John’s illustration and signature on the back
The World of John and Yoko’s Love & Arts
John and Yoko’s Love & Art activities and episodes beginning from their meeting at Indica Gallery to the time of moving to New York will be introduced via various exhibits.
- Interactive exhibit of John and Yoko’s Bed-In
- Indica Gallery/ picture and map
- John’s first private exhibition You Are Here
- Art activities in New York, etc.
- Introducing associated places and things with picture panels and descriptions.
- Mona Yoko
- Footsteps in Rizanbo, Karuizawa/ pictures
The John Lennon Museum is located on the fourth and fifth floors of Saitama Super Arena in Saitama Shintoshin (Saitama New Urban Centre).
- Access: A 35 – 45 minute train ride from Tokyo to Saitama Shintoshin, then three minutes
- walk from the station
- Hours: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm (last admission: 5:30 pm)
- Admission: Adults: 1500 yen / High school and university students: 1000 yen /
- Elementary and junior high school students: 500 yen
- Closed: Tuesday except May 5, year-end and New Year holidays
- Web: www.taisei.co.jp/museum