JR East offers special rail pass deal for international visitors
East Japan Railway Company (JR East) has announced it will once again be selling its JR East Pass Special – a flexible three day rail pass exclusively for international tourists in Japan – for a limited time from September 1, 2009.
The JR East Pass Special allows unlimited ordinary class rail travel on the JR East network which covers the area from the Izu Peninsula south of Tokyo to the northern tip of Honshu, on any three days within a one month period between September 1 and December 31, 2009.
At only 10,000 yen ($125.49*) for adults and 5000 yen ($62.75*) for children aged six to eleven, JR East Pass Special offers an even greater discount on travel when compared with JR East’s standard discount tickets like the Flexible 4 Days and 5 Consecutive Days passes that cost 20,000 yen ($250.98*).
Like all JR East passes, the JR East Pass Special covers travel on all JR East lines and trains, including its five shinkansen (bullet train) lines, limited express services, including the Narita Express airport service, express and local trains.
The special pass also covers travel on JR East’s Limited Express Hakutaka, Odoriko and Super-View Odoriko trains as well as the Nikko, Spacia Nikko, Kinugawa and Spacia Kinugawa trains which operate on non-JR lines.
The JR East region includes some of Japan’s best hot spring and seaside areas with the limited express trains Super-view Odoriko and Odoriko connecting Tokyo with the famous seaside hot springs resorts of the Izu Peninsula in about three hours.
The JR East Pass Special promotion coincides with JR’s Destination Niigata Campaign, a tourism promotion focusing on the Sea of Japan coast prefecture of Niigata, from October through December 2009. Niigata City, the prefecture’s capital, can be accessed from Tokyo by the Niigata shinkansen in as little as one hour and thirty seven minutes.
Niigata Prefecture is well known for its beautiful coastal and mountainous scenery, hot springs, and quality sake and Koshihikari rice.
The JR East Pass Special is a good opportunity for visitors travelling to Japan in autumn and early winter to enjoy the autumn foliage and other sightseeing attractions offered by destinations in the JR East region.
* Australian dollar price based on exchange rate of AUD1 = 79.69 yen.
- Exchange vouchers for the JR East Pass Special will be available for purchase at the same locations as the standard JR East Pass.
- The JR East Pass Special will be available for purchase in Japan from September 1 through December 1, 2009 and exchange orders for the Pass available overseas from September 1 through November 20, 2009.
- The JR East Pass Special exchange voucher is also available for purchase online.
- There is no green car (first class) version of the pass.
- Exchange orders must be exchanged for the rail pass by December 1, 2009.
- No youth rate is available. Child rate is for children aged six to eleven years. Children 12 years and above travel on adult rate. Children under six travel free, except when a reserved seat is used by a child, then the child must travel on the child –rate pass.
JR East Pass www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass/